Notes for friends; thank you all who attended our Jane’s Walk NYC 2021 chat last week. While family and weather meant that it was mostly me talking and less walking, we had a great turnout. We are scheduling future walking events, to keep informed subscribe to the project or go to our Instagram page. We hope you can continue to follow along with this project, and attend future walks.
Here’s an unordered list of questions and resources from the discussion:
- For those who wanted the images I presented, you can download the Typology.city Jane’s Walk NYC 2021 Notes (PDF).
- We discussed Roosevelt Island’s trash pneumatic tube system, more here: New York City’s Trash-Sucking Island
- See also the art installation, Fast Trash: Roosevelt Island’s Pneumatic Tubes and the Future of Cities
- Speaking of tubes the distinct red, yellow, blue, and orange Roosevelt Island Air Tubes in the WIRE section of apartment buildings were questioned, and I still think they are fresh air/exhaust stacks for one of the developments. Would love to have clarity on that.
- NYC 3D Model by Community District is a publicly available model consisting of every building in New York City present in 2014, based on DOITT’s 2014 aerial survey. If you don’t have a sporty 3d software program, you can view the same data via the ZoLa New York City’s Zoning & Land Use Map – choose the “3d Buildings” option at the bottom Basemap layer option.
- Roosevelt Island Master Plan
- On walking cities, here’s an interview: Walking the City with Jennifer Micó